Photo found here
In just under a week, we fly to Canada! In true Nat style (paranoid overplanner), when I’m going on a long trip like this, I like to start my packing around about now. I’ve already commandeered the spare bedroom for Operation Pack (No guests allowed, this space is reserved for packing and packing-related activities only) and have started laying out items according to my packing list. The washing machine has been working overtime the past week and I have issued a memo, reminding team members (or rather member i.e. B!) that the “Under No Circumstances Shall Clothes That Are Going With Be Worn ” policy is now in place.
My approach to packing, and more specifically to what to pack, has changed dramatically in recent years. When we first started travelling, I would over pack by ridiculous amounts....taking with just about everything in my wardrobe, just in case of freak weather, mass coffee spillages and unforeseen need-to-dress-up events. The result....overweight baggage, overstretched arms on husband, much complaining from overstretched-armed husband and a return trip with more than half the items still unworn.
Nowadays, I’ve got my packing down to more reasonable quantities...perhaps a couple of extras “just in case”, but nowhere near the gargantuan amount I used to haul across the globe. You’ve probably heard this before, but the secret to successful packing is to think of wearing layers, several thin layers that can be mixed together rather than one bulky, and less versatile item. And, to take along a small bottle of detergent to wash small items so they can be worn more than once. Travel-sized toiletries also work wonders for reducing weight and space.
During our Canadian tour, we will be moving on each day and so we’ll have to live out of our bags. We did this before on our US road trip, and coped well on that tour with a bit of careful packing. A really easy way of keeping your small items organised and quickly accessible is by these mesh packing cubes. I’ve bought several, and pack my socks, undies and even tee shirts into them. A large-sized one is perfect for keeping small laundry items separate from fresh clothes until you get chance to do a wash.
Packing cubes
I like to plan my carry-on bag too, to make sure I have everything onboard to make a long-haul flight bearable. My two priorities are keeping warm and keeping entertained. I am always freezing on a plane and even if you’re lucky enough to get an airline blanket, they are never enough to keep me at a comfortable temperature. I always carry a fleece with me, slipper socks, a pashmina and my own Dream Sack, a raw silk, warm yet very compact travel blanket. While sleep generally eludes me onboard, earplugs and an inflatable pillow can make catching any bit of shut-eye a little more comfy.
For entertainment, I never rely on the inflight movies as the choice can be appalling. I take a lot of reading material... at least one good novel that I’ve kept aside for the trip (I’ve been hoarding 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini for this trip), my travel guides as well as a few magazines for light reading. I also pack my ipod, a notepad and puzzle book. As I tend to get hungry onboard and the airline food is never very appealing, I take some snacks like nut bars and chocolate, and lots of water (purchased after security) to keep myself hydrated. A travel moisturiser and lip balm are essential for staving off the ravages of the aircon. Finally, being a germaphobic, I cannot travel without my antibacterial hand gel and wipes.
How about you....do you have any packing tips or are there any travel items you can’t survive without?


Bob and I have separate approaches
ReplyDeleteto packing. He waits until an hour
before we leave and I start packing ,
unpacking, packing again at least a
week in advance I tend to overshop
when we travel and need plenty of
empty space for shopping.
I wish I could return to Canada for a
long visit.. anything to beat the heat
in Florida.
Have a happy and safe trip.
If I don't wait until the last minute, I overpack, but then I forget things. If I pack early, I take too much stuff. I have no advice! LOL...
ReplyDeleteYou are my kind of packer! I always start early and am a nut about not taking too much!
ReplyDeleteI like to do last minute packing. It's just me...Anyway, have a nice trip Nat. Have a wonderful time in Canada!
ReplyDeleteI hope you have lots of fun on your trip. Take lots of photos! Only advice I have is to make a list, and check the items. I always bring extra socks for in the plane too, always freezing. snacks in my handbag because I'm always hungry and usually just eat in the plane when I'm bored (especially when it's a long flight)
ReplyDelete