Lit in Greece, the Olympic Flame arrived in the UK on 18 May 2012 before setting out the next day on a 70-day Olympic Torch Relay.
The Olympic Flame stands for peace, unity and friendship and is making its way through more than 1,000 cities, towns and villages in the UK, carried by a total of 8,000 Torchbearers.
Today it passed very close to where I live....
12 year old Freddie Wright
I take it the runners in grey are the torchguards
ReplyDeleteThey are indeed :-) Policemen and women.... have had to stop a few enthusiastic spectators from getting too close or trying to snatch the torch! No such action on yesterday's leg....
DeleteFun pics, I long for the olympics!
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures, Nat! The torch nearly got robbed by teenagers invading the run in Coventry last week! x
ReplyDeleteWhat an honour for young Freddie. Exciting times in London Nat, I'm so looking forward to the start of the games, being winter here in Oz it will be a fab way to spend rainy days and freezing nights, curled up watching the Olympics. It must be crazy over there with the influx of tourists, i suppose Londoners will be glad when it's all over yeh!
ReplyDeleteThis is an awesome tradition! I remember when the Olympics were last in Los Angeles, the torch run was a really big deal...
ReplyDeleteReally cool event to take part in!
ReplyDeleteSo cool!
ReplyDelete