Saturday, 5 February 2011

My Dad

In the early hours of last Sunday morning (January 30th, 2011) my dad finally lost his long battle with cancer.

He was a brilliant, inspiring, funny and brave man who will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him.

My dad as a young man - circa 1960


A devoted husband, a loving father, and a loyal friend of many.


Wedding Day - 6th July 1963


A man with a positive outlook, who yelled "Bring it on!" at whatever life threw at him.

A hard-working man who wanted his family to have the best life possible.

My dad teaching me to swim - 1974


A perfectionist, who could repair anything and would not rest until he found a solution to a problem.

A man with a great thirst for knowledge, who read voraciously, graduated with a university degree in history aged 47, and taught himself how to program a computer back in the days when only a handful of people had even seen one.

An accomplished musician, and a talented golfer, rugby player and swimmer.


My dad playing his beloved violin - circa 1970


An eloquent man, with a great sense of humour and a love of political satire.

A man who laughed long and loud, and was not afraid to laugh at himself.

A man who packed a lot of living into his 75 years.



I am priveleged to have had him for my dad, and I am going to miss him more than I ever thought was possible.






17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your dad Nat. He sounds like he was a truly wonderful man, I'm so sorry for your loss.

    I Hate cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear dear Nat. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sending you hugs and strength through the monitor right now. He sounds so wonderful... my dear friend, I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, Nat. I loved the old photos of your dad and he sounds like he did a good job of bringing up a wonderful kid. Condolences to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nat,

    I'm so sorry for your loss. It was such a shock to hear that your dad had passed away. He certainly put up a very brave and determined fight against the cancer. We'll be thinking of you and your family at this sad time.

    As Saimi said, your post is a wonderful tribute to your dad.

    Love
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry Nat. Thank you for sharing this great tribute to him. It sounds like he was quite a guy...
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nat.. so sorry to read about losing your
    dad. Your tribute was very loving
    and touching. Our thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My deepest condolence to you Nat. I am so sorry for your loss. The photo of him teaching you how to swim is really touching. May he rest in peace. My father also died of cancer when he was 60.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My condolences, Nat. What a great tribute you made here. You already know how much I love the photos :) My thoughts to you and yours at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry. He sounds like an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to your father is very poignant. Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that no words I offer here can bring real comfort, but I am sorry. So sorry. There is really nothing like the love of a father. That you had such a precious relationship with him is a gift beyond measure. I am so glad you had him and took the time to cherish that gift. I will say a prayer for comfort for your family. May God bless and comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just happened onto your blog. This is a very beautiful tribute to your father. I know that words cannot begin to convey the sympathy others feel for your loss. I just want you to know that I sincerely hope that you will know peace and grace during this time of mourning. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so sad. But yes, this was a wonderful tribute to him. There is so much love there. HUGS, you will keep his memory alive forever in you. all my best

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear about your dad. What a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, everyone... I really appreciate all your messages of support and friendship.
    I hope to get back into blogging soon and will try and get round to reading everyone's blogs again soon.
    Nat x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry for you loss, Nat. This post was a great tribute to him though. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am very sorry for your loss. I know how it feels like losing a father. We are still lucky to have met and known our fathers. We are blessed that way. My prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete