The romance between Queen Victoria and Prince Albert ranks with the greatest in history. I thought it quite fitting to share my photos of the Albert Memorial with you all today, a day devoted to love and romance...
The 176 feet (54 m) memorial was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Gothic Revival style, took over ten years to complete, and cost £120,000 (the equivalent of about £10,000,000 in 2010).
On the four diagonal corners, are representations of the continents Europe, Asia, Africa and America. These recall the four corners of the world which came together at the Great Exhibition of 1851 that was Prince Albert’s incredibly successful idea to showcase culture and industry.
Europe Group
Asia Group
America Group
Africa Group
The gilded Prince Albert sits at the centre, surveying London from his throne....
“Queen Victoria and Her People
to the memory of Albert Prince Consort
as a tribute of their gratitude
for a life devoted to the public good”
Happy Valentine's Day!
Awesome Nat!! Thanks for the history!! You must be a travel guide or something! Ha!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Valentines Day to you too!!
Wonderful! Love all the history and architecture. I need to come and visit your country again. I loved it there!
ReplyDeleteGreat post... the commentary and
ReplyDeleteespecially the photos.
Hope your Valentine's Day was
filled with chocolate..
Absolutely beautiful! Oh, how blessed to see it! (And love the romance of Victoria and Albert - just love it.)
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking of you since your last post on the 5th and keeping your father in my thoughts. I hope that each day finds you feeling more and more peace, my friend. Much love.
I love seeing architecture. This was great Nat! Thanks for sharing :) Happy Tuesday!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this interesting post.
ReplyDeleteThanks for giving me a tour of a place I've never been to!
ReplyDelete