Sunday, 20 February 2011

20:50

While I was in London, I had the chance to see Richard Wilson's installation 20:50, a permanent fixture at the Saatchi Gallery.

20:50’s effects begin as you enter the building — a smell of petroleum hits you which, by the time you’re in the basement room which the work occupies, is almost intoxicating.

You enter the room on a platform and are confronted by a bright space whose walls, ceiling, windows and views outside are mirrored in an tranquil pool of recycled engine oil (which gives 20:50 its name).



Unfortunately the walkway into the heart of the installation was closed, otherwise it would have been possible to survey the room with oil surrounding me at waist height.




I found the piece spellbinding, and more than a little disorientating. One of the most memorable pieces of art I have ever seen...

5 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds like an
    interesting work. I tend to like the
    smell of petrol, so it wouldn't bother
    me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much oil was used to create this installation piece?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sid - I read somewhere it took about 650 gallons (that's about 2,400 litres) to fill the tank that lines the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That looks pretty cool. I'll bet it's even better in person...

    ReplyDelete