Thursday, 25 June 2015

Tugela Gorge Hike

Back to my South African adventures in the Drakensberg....

We were well placed for the Royal Natal National Park, for a day hike to the foot of the Tugela Falls. The trail starts next to the Tugela river at the car park near Thendele, and it's a relatively easy walk (23 km return trip), except for the last 2 km that require 3 easy river crossings and some boulder hopping. At the far point of the walk you can see spectacular view of the Amphitheatre, Sentinel and Tugela Falls..... unfortunately it was a bit cloudy by the time we got there, but still a lovely spot for a packed picnic lunch. In places, the trail winds through indigenous forests that provide welcome shade on a scorching hot day and wild-life spotting opportunities, and the scenery is just gorgeous.....



























Baboon











Dassie rat




9 comments:

  1. Wait . . . . Dassle rat? I have never, in my whole lifetime, known that there was an in this world not only 'called' dassle rat - but even 'looked' like that!! what a funny little guy! He looks like he needs to let some air out!! ๐Ÿ˜œ love the photos, my friend. Gorgeous. (The baboon scared me a little, though. I am SO sheltered.) hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It is typically called a 'dassie' :-) Commonly spotted in parts of South Africa....

      Delete
  3. Great pictures of an amazing place. By the way, I have never see a dassie rat before...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, the scenery is gorgeous! Seriously, when do you ever see a Baboon on a hike - in our parts of the country its common to see Rattlesnakes and lizards but that's desert living for you! The trails look amazingly inviting - I would love to go hiking there! Hope your are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the cutest rat I've ever set eyes upon! A pretty splendid walk, too. Looks so green and lush!
    Hope you're feeling better! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of years ago we camped at Mahai for 10 days of which it rained for 8. I took Chaos Boy along for a hike up the Tugela but only got as far as the gorge. There we couldn't cross the river to go up the gorge. Oh man, was I disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of a dassle rat, but they are kind of cut.
    What an amazing place! Your photos are fantastic...

    ReplyDelete