I've been feeling more than a bit sorry for myself lately.... barely able to hobble, let alone negotiate stairs (other than on my backside!), I'm trapped in my home office all day. Darling husband has been looking after me so well.... doing all the house chores, cooking, leaving me with flasks of coffee and healthy snacks to sustain me while he is out at work.
What is really getting to me, is the sudden forced immobility.... no boxercise, no yoga, no Aikido, no power walking, no hiking. I've realised that just about all of my hobbies are active ones. My weekends are usually planned around long walks and sporting activities. I'm stuck indoors all day on a computer for work, so I ache to get out and get active in my free time....
I've had to give myself a stern talking-to! I could wallow in self-pity for the next 6 weeks... or I can change the way I do things and make the best of a change in gear....
#1 This is a TEMPORARY situation. For some people, this is their way of life - due to whatever circumstances, they will never walk, let alone run again.
#2 I'll have a lot of time to reacquaint myself with the Blogging World... I think I've become so caught up with everything else in my life, this blog has just fallen by the wayside. Warning: You may be bombarded with random nonsense, forgotten tales and old photographs over the coming weeks!
#3 I can take up swimming again very soon. It's the only exercise that has my Dr's stamp of approval. And my yoga instructor has outlined a routine that avoids using the damaged calf... so I will be keeping myself limber on some fronts.
#4 All those books I have been meaning to read, those films I never had the time to watch, the TV series everyone has been raving about.... guess what? I now have the time to catch up!
#5 If I behave myself and allow my leg to recover properly, none of my travel plans for later this year will be affected. A trip to the Lake District next weekend to hike to the top of Scafell Pike has turned into a day relaxing in a lovely lakeside Spa.
When life gives you lemons... grab tequilla and salt!


Being stuck indoors and being in pain is horrible but you're dead right, it's not permanent and things could be much worse.
ReplyDeleteOne of our friends is having his leg amputated this week after a horrible motorbike accident. The only thing keeping him going (other than the morphine) is the promise of a NHS Robocop prosthetic leg, bless him. xxx
How terrible for your friend! Wishing him all the best for a good recovery x
DeleteOh Nat I can so relate - my leg and my horse scrambled together and it set me three months back - it happened in Oct of 09 and I finally went back to work after the new year 2010 - it does seem like for ever at the time but for me it's already been 6 years since the accident- I'm back in full swing and you will be too! Hang in there 😊
ReplyDeleteThanks Saimi :-)
ReplyDeleteAww Nat, that's not good! Especially as you are such a sporty, active person.. So we can hopefully expect many more of your tres entertaining posts over the next few weeks, still laughing about the men's clobber from the 70's, thankfully at that time I was living in deepest Africa and we weren't as up to date with fashion.. thank the lord :)
ReplyDelete