Sunday, 23 February 2014

One Step At A Time




Some of you may recall that one balmy night last May.... it was about 3 C with a gale force wind and rain.... I took part in the Half Moon Walk. The Half Moon Walk is a half-marathon, which takes place... you guessed it...  through the night. Participants power walk their way through the streets of London, wearing a decorated bra with the aim of raising funds and awareness for breast cancer charities.

Half marathon? 13 miles/21 kilometres? Insultingly easy!


This year, I'm going the Full Monty... no, not walking through the streets of London in just my altogether (I think that's illegal).. .but rather doing the Full Moon, the full 26 miles/ 42 kilometres. This is a whole new challenge!

My training plan officially kicked off last week, and I have three 3-milers and a 4-miler under my belt. I also did a quick 6-miler over the last weekend, just for good measure. I don't think it's a good plan to over train on the long walks, but a couple of extra short ones will hopefully go a long way to conditioning my legs for that Big Walk on the night of 10th May.  All in, if I follow the training plan to the letter, I will walk a total of 243 miles before the Big One of 26.2.

That's a fair bit of walking. Even for an ardent walker like me, that could get a tad boring. Especially as come rain or shine...and judging on the Great British Weather's past performance, there'll be a load more rain than shine... I've got to push myself to get out there and just keep walking.



So, as I always walk with music, my plan is put together the most amazing, inspiring training playlist for my ipod to keep me moving over the next 12 weeks. Here's what I have so far...yes, an eclectic selection...

Obviously, there's OMD's 'Walking On The Milky Way'; Aerosmith with 'Walk This Way'; Nancy Sinatra's 'These Boots Were Made For Walkin'; Katrina and The Waves 'Walking on Sunshine'; Dire Straits 'Walk of Life'; The Bangles 'Walk Like An Egyptian'; Green Day 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams (I Walk Alone)', The Proclaimers 'I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)', Martika's upbeat version of Carole King's 'I Feel The Earth Move', and The Police 'Every Breathe You Take (Every Step You Make)'.

Inspiration comes from Journey with 'Don't Stop Believin'; David Bowie's 'Heroes'; Kelly Clarkson's 'What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)' and Script with 'Hall of Fame'.

Then just for their upbeat tempo, there's Eurythmics 'Sweet Dreams'; Iggy Pop's 'Real Wild Child'; Abba's 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme'; David Quetta's 'Titanium'; Guns N'Roses 'Paradise City'; the Bee Gees 'Stayin' Alive'; Enrique Iglesias with 'I Like It'; the Black Eyed Peas 'I Gotta Feeling'; Coldplay with 'Viva La Vida'; KT Tunstall's 'Black Horse and a Cherry Tree', and Emeli Sande with 'Next To Me', just to name a few.


Any suggestions?

The links should take you to the music videos but You Tube does have funny international restrictions.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Nat, firstly a very belated happy birthday, looks like you had a wonderful time in Thailand, gorgeous photos of your trip.. secondly, what is the official age of a cougar, whatever it is I think you may have a long way to go :) I find it so sad that you have such an overabundance of rain and we have none at all, the balance is screwed right! Well done on the 'Full Moon' walk coming up, loved your walk list and have added two links below to two tunes that always perk me up when I start flagging, the both have a really good walking beat.. see what you think :)

    Rogue Traders 'Voodoo Child' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrlhLaNClgw

    Underworld's 'Underneath the Radar'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w-n0GrkF8E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace :-) Apparently 40 is official Cougar territory...
      The weather is crazy all over the world!
      I'll add those two tracks to my repertoire, thanks :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love your selection of music and Nat I'm so proud of you for doing this marathon - way to walk girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that with your determination you will complete the whole walk - the long term weather forecast says that we are in for a very warm summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously need to get my exercise routine going as well... as soon as it isn't so hot anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's warming up here a bit... but I could happily have some Southern African sunshine any day :-)

      Delete
  5. You'll walk it with that banging sound track! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a neat collection of songs... you're gonna ace the marathon. A few more recommendations : Rascal Flatt's 'Stand' , Garth Brook's 'The River', Alabama's 'Angels among us'. Check out John Mayers 'Say' and 'Half of my heart' also check out this folk artist Gregory Alan Isakov with slow songs like 'Amsterdam' and 'Saint Valentine'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen.. I'll check those tracks out :-)

      Delete
  7. Good grouping of songs. It will surely get you moving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you've got some great songs to urge you along. I'm sure you will do well on your training and at the actual event.

    ReplyDelete