Thursday, 9 August 2012

Notes From Nat - The Olympics Souvenir Edition

Dear British Media

Please can we see a lot more of these types of celebrities.....


Jessica Ennis - gold medallist for the heptathlon 



Mo Farah - gold medallist for the 10,000m



GB's gold men's coxless four -  Pete Reed, Andrew Triggs Hodge, Tom James and Alex Gregory



Victoria Pendleton (gold and silver medallist for GB) and Anna Meares (gold medallist for Australia) 



South African Oscar Pistorius - double amputee - made Olympic history by racing in the 400m



Sarah Attar finished last in her 800m heat, but the fact that she was there at all is a huge victory - she is the first female track and field athlete to represent Saudi Arabia at the Olympics and received a standing ovation as she crossed the finish line




Nicola Adams - the first woman to ever win a gold medal for boxing


...and a whole lot less of the vacuous, I'm-just-famous-coz-I-got-my-boobs-out-on-TV, Big Brother contestants - so that the next generation grow up with more positive role models?

And another thing.... I hope these Olympic Games have shown you that Britain is pretty damn great at all kinds of sports! So can we please get a lot less coverage of the appalling antics (on and off pitch) of egotistical, way overpaid Premier League footballers, and far more coverage of all the lesser known sports?

Let's carry forward the stirring  "Inspire A Generation" motto of London 2012!


A good time has been had by all

...............


Dear Athletes of the Olympics Games

OK, it's official.... these are actually The Crying Games! Don't get me wrong, I can quite understand it's a very emotional thing... standing up there with that piece of hard-earned bling around your neck, your national anthem playing, your heart swells with pride... and you're reduced to a blubbering mass of tears! The problem is, I can't stop crying either.... it's reflex action, just like yawning!

Damn I wish I'd invested in Kleenex shares....


South Africa's Chad Le Clos clinched the 200m butterfly from his personal hero, Michael Phelps



Sir Chris Hoy - GB's most successful Olympian ever



Felix Sanchez (Dominican Republic) - gold medallist for the 400m hurdles



Katherine Grainger and Anna Watkins after winning the women's double scull



What the Olympics are all about

Photos obviously not my own!

9 comments:

  1. Here, here, and so say all of us. Beautifully put.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Nat! What inspiring role models these athletes are. I wish I could stop blubbing,too.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely agree with you, Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I tell you how much I am enjoying the games? And yes, I'm guilty of the excessive kleenex usage during them! I'm crying like a blubbering fool for each and every award ceremony I watch (whether the Gold goes to our country, or not!) I can't imagine the training, dedication, sacrifice and overall amazingness that goes into these athletes! (especially since I am not so athletically inclinded.) But boy, oh, boy . . . do I respect them! Loved these photos, my friend! Very exciting times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Show .. probably watched more of these
    games than previous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you hit it right on the head! Entertainers are NOT heroes or role models in my book. GREAT post Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been an amazing Olympic Games so far. The British has done very well and as an South African I am so proud to have seen so many Saffas do well even if they don't always win medals. Chad le Clos has become my 10 year old son's hero while Oscar keeps inspiring everybody who sees him compete.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Olympics have been fabulous as always Nat, the press coverage has been sh..! The number of times we've heard out here in Oz, oh no he's ONLY got a silver, when the difference most of the time has been less than a second. Honestly there used to be a time (many, many years ago) when being a journalist was a respected profession, now they're mostly sensation seeking hacks! I was overjoyed (and tearful) for everyone who did so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't watched a bit of it:( life has been very busy but I think I enjoy the same thins you do. I have always admired these athletes, their dedication and drive are such an inspiration. These are true role models for all of us.

    ReplyDelete