Friday, 16 January 2009

In the unlikely event of landing on water....

I’ve mentioned I’m an uneasy flyer, so news of plane crashes always grab my attention. With morbid fascination....I just can’t stop myself... I’ll trawl through the crash details, which will then get filed in my brain under “Resort to Nervous Wreck When On An Aeroplane Aids”, ready to pop up the next time I’m strapped into a plane seat, waiting for the roar of engines to signal the start of that race down the runway to take-off. That’s the point when I always feel trapped. I can’t stand up and shout “Let me off!”... well I possibly could, but I would definitely piss off the other passengers, almost certainly be labelled a lunatic and probably be banned from flying... which would kind of get in the way of my travel plans. Suck another Rescue Remedy pastille, and dig fingernail stubs into B’s arm (if travelling alone, random stranger’s arm).

But here at last, a plane crash story with a happy ending. Captain Chesley Sullenberger managed to land his Airbus 320 aircraft safely on the Hudson River, New York, after both engines were disabled by a flock of birds shortly after take-off. He then walked up and down the plane twice after everybody else was off and tried to verify that there was nobody else onboard. All 155 passengers and crew were rescued.


Cue Bonnie Tyler's “Holding Out For A Hero”....



I salute you Captain “Sully” and wish you were flying all the planes I will be going on........

No comments:

Post a Comment