Pleasantly easy access to the glacier is via the Montenvers fenicular train, from Chamonix up to an altitude of 1913 m....
A small cable car (and 400 steps) then provides visitors with access down to a man made ice grotto that is cut into the glacier each summer....
Ice grotto
Inside the ice grotto
Inside the ice grotto
Restaurant terrace
A great spot for lunch
Views from the terrace
The glacier
Museum
Definitely worth a visit if you're ever in the Alps in summer!
So gorgeous! The views and the ice grotto are incredible but I'm a bit scared by the cable car! x
ReplyDeleteI love that area around Chamonix - we stayed in a wonderful wooden chalet hotel a few miles away from there but up in the mountains called Les Marécottes - lots of great memories of it.
ReplyDeleteI've never been there, but I'd sure like to!
ReplyDeleteVery nice photos.
Its so absolutely beautiful around there. Would love to just be able to see and touch a real glacier.
ReplyDeleteI have just had a royal catch up on your blog and oh my goodness are you friggin kidding me I am in total AWE! This is mind blowing beautiful, I need to go here before I die no I need to go here or I will DIE. I actually have friends here and I really really need to take advantage of that! GORGEOUS NAT!!!!!
ReplyDelete