Saturday, 1 June 2013

She Finds Sea Shells On The Sea Shore...




I spent hours each day on my recent South African holiday, combing the beaches of Plettenberg Bay for pretty shells and other treasures from the ocean. I picked up loads....



 Treasures from the ocean

















My darling husband ever so patiently wrapped each precious shell in tissue paper and packed them in a box to bring back home, and now they have a special place in the corner of our bathroom...




Remember the elusive pansy shells we hunted for and eventually found not one but five gorgeous specimens?




Here's what I decided to do with them....

I took one of my photos of Keurboom beach where most of the pansies were found and had it printed A3 size - right in the centre of the picture, my husband is walking with his childhood friend.




We stuck the pansy shells to the photo using glue dots that scrapbookers recommend, and framed it in a box frame...




I can't avoid the reflections from other pictures... but you get the idea!


Now hanging in pride of place in our cloakroom.

8 comments:

  1. Wow Nat what wonderful and creative idea to do with your beautiful shells - and now they will also be a fond memory of your Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea.
    and all those shells are fantastic..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing all of the treasures you collected . . . So cool! I shared your photos with my husband this morning, and told him of all the travels and wonderful holidays you go on . . . I found myself saying, "I love the adventures I get to go on with dear Nat!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What treasures! I love shells and your clever ideas with them.
    Damien Hirst's Forms Without Life is on loan to our town's art gallery, I keep going back just to look at those shells! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed with how you preserve memories. The way you used the photo and the shells in the frame is perfect. I think I'm gonna try something like that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous!!!! Growing up in Southern CA has made me a huge sea shell fan and I love your sand dollars that is what I call them anyway. Your display is perfection!!!! I did something similar with a photo I took at glass beach and then I mounted it in a shadow box with pieces of the glass from the beach. I left it with the X boyfriend :(
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shells and such a creative way to show them. I may have said this already, but where I live we call those "pansy" shells, "sand dollars."

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're headed for the Oregon coast this summer and I can hardly wait. This makes me more eager. I love your sand dollar picture. WOW!

    ReplyDelete