Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Is Life Too Short To Stuff A Mushroom?

In 1975, Shirley Conran published Superwoman, aimed at busy women, and coined the phrase ... 'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom'. Perhaps it's a sign that we live in even busier times in the 21st Century, as we've since abbreviated her adage to 'Life's too short!' (note the apostrophe).

If I've learnt anything in my relatively brief life so far, it's that life really is too short to....

1.  Bear grudges.
2.  Keep a closed mind.
3.  Not push myself to achieve higher goals.
4.  Not admit when I need help.
5.  Stay in a job that is bad for my health and sanity.
6.  Not spend enough time with my family and friends.
7.  Let the prejudices of others impair my own better judgement.
8.  Not explore as much of the world as possible
9.  Let past regrets blur the present.
10. Wish life away by living in the future.
11. Take myself too seriously.
12. Worry about things that may never happen.
13. Be superstitious.
14. Always take the safe option.
15. Watch too much rubbish reality TV.
16. Not admit when I am wrong.
17. Not forgive and forget. Not move on.
18. Take anything or anyone for granted.
19. Resist change.
20. Be blinded by details and miss the big picture.





What do you all think life is too short to....?

.........

If anyone is interested, I have indeed dedicated a whole hour of my life recently to stuffing some mushrooms. Dead easy and you will really wow your dinner guests too!  Here's my recipe for a delicious, low-fat version.....

What you need to serve four people:

  • 8 large mushrooms - Portobello or 'Breakfast Mushrooms'
  • 2 red onions, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 4 rashers of lean bacon finely chopped (or leave out for veggie options)
  • A tub of very low fat cottage cheese (in the UK we get Philadelphia Extra Light or Quark)
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • Handful of chives, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Paprika
  • Low fat oil spray for frying (FryLight)


What you do:

  • Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F)
  • Wash the mushrooms well, and remove the stalks (retain).
  • Chop the stalks finely and pan fry, together with the bacon, onions and garlic.
  • Remove from the heat and set aside.
  • Place the mushroom caps smooth side down on a baking sheet.
  • Mix the bacon/onion/garlic combo with the cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, chives and season to taste.
  • Spoon onto the mushroom caps, sprinkle with paprika and bake for approximately 20 minutes until the mushrooms are starting to go golden brown.
  • Serve with a salad garnish.




8 comments:

  1. What wise words! I've never read it but I know my Mum's copy is lying around the parental home, I'll have to dig it out.
    Life's too short for all the points on the list but creating tasty food is never a waste of time. I love stuffed mushrooms so ta for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and a recipe to boot ...
    I love stuffed mushrooms !

    What a great list.. and all so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mushrooms and olives still don't do it for me. I know! I hate it! I wish I liked them. I really get a sense of who you are from your own life's to short list. Why I agree with every single one! I also think life is too short for boring clothes and negative people.
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is way to short to mess about. Those mushrooms sound yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny Nat, Aimee did this exact same recipe last weekend for breakfast. So good!! Life's to short to give up eating chocolate entirely...but moderation is required :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fabulous list. Here's mine:

    Life is too short to:

    ~ refuse to forgive
    ~ miss even a minute with the ones you love
    ~ clean your own house if you can afford not to
    ~ skip the road trip
    ~ watch much TV

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post and so, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life is too short to:
    Get involved with other people's drama (or your own)
    Waste time hating people
    Regret
    Not enjoy the limited time we have on this rock
    Be afraid of love and let go

    ReplyDelete