Thursday, 21 November 2013

Life Lately




I've been a little preoccupied lately. Distracted. Restless. Listless. Perhaps it's the fact that my 40th birthday is just a few weeks away, and while that's really nothing to write home to the bloggersphere about, it is one of those milestone birthdays that does make one stop and take stock of things.

I remember having a feeling of change around the time of my 30th. I spent that birthday in Paris (it was freezing but fabulous) just days before my second interview for the job that would be a turning point in my career. The job that took me out of the laboratory as a pharmaceutical research scientist and into the more corporate environment of medical writing. 

There are days that I love my job and then there are those days that make me want to run away and never come back (usually those days when Annoying Demanding Client is being particularly annoying and demanding and..... just being clientish). Deep down I wish I was doing something more exciting (preferably with a more creative slant and lots of exotic travel), but I know I have to be sensible and pay my bills. Because the same year that I turned 30, we bought our first house and became beholden to the Almighty Mortgage Lender. Then began Operation Overhaul Humble Hovel into a Liveable Home, and that really was time to start acting like a grown-up...perusing wall colour charts and carpet catalogues, boning up on the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 flues, becoming versed in the benefits of combi-boilers, and dealing with a seemingly never-ending stream of builders, plumbers, blokes that sort out the gas and so on.




As I approach my 40th birthday, I don't have the same expectations that things are about to change, and perhaps that is what is making me feel quite restless. And to top it all, I'm suffering from extreme wanderlust! Don't get me wrong, I know that I have travelled a fair bit in my life already - anyone who reads my blog has possibly worked out that I jump at every chance to explore another part of our amazing planet. But I crave the opportunity to really travel... to just head off for a few months and see where we ended up. To have no set itinerary, no agenda, no obligations. Unfortunately, such plans shall remain as dreams for the foreseeable future. We are still indebted to the Almighty Mortgage Lender, and too sensible to even contemplate (for longer than about five minutes) chucking it all in and sodding off into the Big Beyond. Would we ever be able to come back to reality? I fear not.

So, instead, I intend to make the most of the next year, and indeed every year, by....

Starting off the year in one of my favourite places in the world - Thailand! A few days of sun, sea, sand, and spicy (satay!) food will be the perfect antidote to the cold sleet, rain, ice and snow of the UK. Not that I have anything against ice and snow, but I do like to mix it up with a bit of fire too! And so I shall, with a trip to Iceland (the Land of Fire and Ice) booked for mid June 2014, coinciding with the Summer Solstice and 24 hours of daylight way up north.  Before that, I've booked a sneaky break to New York (New York!) over Easter.... I plan on walking all over the Big Apple and then some, as by then I'll be in the final stages of training for my power walking marathon, the London Moon Walk on 10 May 2014.....




That's the first six months planned for now. Stay tuned for more on all of these adventures....




8 comments:

  1. Yay for you for acting on those itches to see the world! 40 is going to be great! I guarantee it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think that every birthday you celebrate brings you one step closer to your travelling dreams and paying off that damned mortgage. You plans sound fabulous and very exciting. Happy Birthday when it rolls round. In 3 weeks I'll be 7 years into my 40s and loving every minute. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, it sounds to me like you have plenty going on as always :) When I think "Nat" I think "Where in the world is that girl THIS time!?" Happy upcoming birthday, yay! Do it right, woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you silly youngsters!
    You certainly are a traveler and I can't wait to see your photos and stories from the places you're going to. Happy Birthday in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kinda feel like you. Very very busy at work but pondering life at the same time. 40 is less than two years away for me and I've suddenly realised that I wanted to have done more with my life at this stage and what I can do to rectify it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really are so lucky to be so close to all these wonderful destinations Nat..Here in Perth, the most isolated city in the world it's no mean feat to get to Europe and America, and to make matters worse my fear of flying is growing all the time so the prospect of a 24 hour trip to Paris is something I dread and desperately want both at the same time :) Your plans for the first six months of 2014 sound very exciting (apart from the flying bit) and 40..eh spring chicken :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy! (I am also dreading the big Four Oh, but still 2 years away.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 30 was a tough one for me. No house, rubbish boyfriend, no kids in sight, awful job...

    40 was a blur. House, husband and 2 kids... no time for soul searching! What a difference a decade makes.

    Enjoy planning your birthday year, and may the coming decade be as exciting and fulfilling as possible.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete