Sunday, 27 October 2013

Autumn In Bonn...




I spent a weekend in Bonn, recently.... visiting some friends who've relocated to Germany for work. It was a great chance to catch up and do a bit of exploring too...


Bonn was the birthplace of Ludwig van Beethoven (born 1770)...
















I enjoyed hunting out the little details around the city....

































And the crepes!





We took a trip across the Rhine....





















And a walk through the woods, looking for conkers....












All in, a fantastic weekend! And I have a load of blogs to catch up on....

8 comments:

  1. Boon looks wonderful. I've never been to germany but my brother adores it. I can see why! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely simply lovely!!!

    My son who is a gifted piano player has a picture of Beethoven hanging above his piano. His first piece he played in a school talent show was Fur Elise - he was 8 years old. By the way what are conkers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Saimi :-)
      Conkers are the seeds of the horse chestnut tree (second from bottom photo). Children in Europe play a game where they make a hole in the conkers and tie them onto a string, then take turns hitting each other's conkers. The winner is the one with the intact conker.
      Some people like to put conkers in the corner of the room as they are reputed to ward off spiders that are prolific at this time of year. Otherwise, they make pretty table decorations in glass vases :-)

      Delete
  3. I got to go to Germany about this time a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately it was for work and I didn't have that much time for sightseeing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew a conker was a chestnut because I just found my first on a walk! You do get around Nat! I have always wanted to take a boat down the Rhine and explore Beethoven's birthplace! Beautiful photos!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place! Your photos of it are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice place, love much Beethoven, your fotos autumn is wonderfull with color fall. greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking us on the trip with you! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete