Monday, 29 June 2009

Stuck In A Moment...

The past few days have been a bit surreal. Across the UK, temperatures are soaring under fierce sunshine, with thunderstorms in the late afternoons...and there are Michael Jackson songs playing almost constantly on the radio. It's almost as if I've somehow been transported back to my childhood in southern Africa in the 1970s/80s.

Music has always evoked very strong memories and emotions... some songs will immediately remind me of a time, place or event in my life. One of my earliest recollections is provoked by The Carpenters "We've Only Just Begun". I was about 4 years old and was in a car with my parents driving from the then Salisbury to Bulawayo to visit my dad's brother. This song was playing on the car tape deck when we came upon the scene of a horrific accident involving a train and a car at a level crossing. My mom told me to close my eyes tightly and not look out the window...but curiosity got the better of me and I sneaked a naughty peak as we drove past. Really wish I had obeyed my mom as that horrific scene burned into my memory forever that day...

On a less morbid note, the upbeat sounds of "I Like To Move It", famously revamped in "Madagscar" will always take me back to our Caribbean holiday in the summer of 2005. The film was about the only decent thing showing on our in-flight entertainment system outbound and inbound....think I watched it 5 times in total...but still loved it enough to buy the DVD later.

Speaking of holidays....some plans are afoot.
Will let you know more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment