Start by having a wonderful, generous boss... who arranges fabulous Christmas parties every year. This year was no exception - an elegant dinner in The Orangery at Blenheim Palace, residence of the dukes of Marlborough and notable for being the birthplace and ancestral home of Sir Winston Churchill.
Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”
A generous boss will also insist that everyone takes a couple of unopened bottles home with them, to share with friends and family over the Christmas festivities. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.... however, as I discovered a couple of minutes later, there is something somewhat undignified about sweeping through the elegant East Gates of Blenheim Palace at the end of the night... accompanied by the loud and distinct clinking of bottles under one's best winter coat.
Very Posh Doorman at Blenheim Palace [in Very Posh Oxford Accent]: "Taking some supplies with us for the trip home, are we Madam?"
Nat [in Very Unposh, Southern African drawl, only made worse by a lingering sinus infection and a day of nonstop talking]: "I don't even drink!"
Very Posh Doorman at Blenheim Palace [in possibly even Posher Very Posh Oxford Accent]: "Never too young to start learning, Madam!"
The first sign of alcoholic addiction? Denial. Damn you Very Posh Doorman at Blenheim Palace!


That doorman sounds ace, posh but not too up himself to indulge in a bit of banter with one of the guests! Any jobs going at your place? your boss sounds like a dream! x
ReplyDeleteHaha, well I´m sure it was a good time! :-D
ReplyDeleteHahaha he was JEALOUS of your abundance of fine wines when he couldn't fit any inside his posh waistcoat. Do they wear waistcoats? I like to think they do because my head says all posh people wear waistcoats.
ReplyDeleteWith or without the drink it must have been a lovely occasion. As usual you manage to add a twist of amusing Nat humour to whole affair.
ReplyDeleteHaha you're a funny girl, just for the record, I don't drink either - perhaps the posh doorman would have said to me, 'never too OLD to start learning Madam.
ReplyDeleteThat was pretty funny Nat! I've had a couple of bosses who were like that, but unfortunately, we just about zero places that posh in my part of the world.
ReplyDelete