Tuesday, 21 April 2009

Everything Changes


Funny how one piece of news can change your life the way you know it. I remember hearing about the first plane to hit the Twin Towers, September 11th, 2001. I was in my last year at university, it was a sunny, spring afternoon in Cape Town. I was working in the chemistry lab when one of the other postgrads came running in, saying we may want to come and look at the CNN news channel on the TV in the larger service lab...apparently a 'small' plane had just crashed into one of the towers. We grouped around the box, just in time to watch the second plane hit, and then later, to witness the first tower imploding. Maybe you don't believe this was an act of terrorism, maybe you think it was some elaborate conspiracy cooked up by the CIA and acted out by fiendish agents, maybe you think it was a justified 'revenge' for US foreign policy....whatever your thoughts and beliefs, you will probably agree that this was a turning point in modern history, and the world (and certainly airline travel) would never be the same again.

Recently, my dad was diagnosed with cancer - at the moment, we don't know how serious it is as he's waiting on some further test results and consultations with specialists. We're hoping it's been found early enough to halt it in its tracks, so can just wait, in hope, for the moment. The news was a huge shock. I've been getting this weird feeling the last year or so that things were not right with my dad...he's been having some awkward health issues, that were first passed off as IBS by his GP. Finally he was sent for some exploratory surgery, and that's when the first growths were found in the bladder. Shortly afterwards, he developed other complications and ended up in hospital for nearly a month... and that's when the specialists found more growths, this time in the bowel.

My first reaction was that of anger... why didn't they send him for these exploratory tests earlier? Was he ignored because he's a burden on the NHS, over 70 and therefore not a priority? Anger gave way to tears - I've cried bucket loads - but now I'm feeling quite numb really, almost detached from the reality and trying to get on with normal life. My dad is positive he will overcome this, and I need to think the same way, and to be strong for him and for my mom.

I'm a firm believer in keeping busy, channeling hurt and upset into something positive. I've decided to sign up for 'Race For Life', Cancer Research UK’s flagship event, which brings together thousands of women each year to walk, jog or run 5 km and raise money to beat cancer.

I've never done anything like this before, and I'm quite excited... it will give me some motivation to 'haul ass' out of bed in the mornings and get my walk in before work....I'm not a runner so will definitely be walking the 5 km! Whatever money I raise will be just a small drop in an oceanbed that needs filling....


No comments:

Post a Comment